The number of patients attending homoeopathic clinics for the treatment of Post Covid hair loss is alarming. This seems to be the most common and prolonged complication of COVID infection.
Recovering from a coronavirus infection can impose massive strain on the body. The side-effects of battling a COVID attack can be quite profound. Amongst one of the symptoms is hair fall.
While hair fall can be a trivial ordeal that many of us encounter on a daily basis- and for a number of reasons including poor diet, environmental factors and stress, none comes close to what post-COVID-hair fall is like. Post-COVID hair fall isn't just real, it's a concerning issue which many recovered patients face.
Testing negative is only one end of the battle won after fighting coronavirus. Post-COVID complications and long COVID symptoms can continue to impact patients even after recovery.
While a lot of the symptoms are said to be lingering remnants of the viral spread (such as body ache, weakness, cough and shortness of breath), excessive hair fall can, too, be a complicated symptom. Now, while hair loss post-COVID-19 isn't a classic symptom, the sheer magnitude with which recovered people detail about their hair loss is something that is now subject to clinical investigations around the world.
With the SARS-COV-2 virus, there can be a high level of inflammation present in the body, that can lead to side-effects in the long run. The inflammation and acute infection can interrupt the growth of hair follicles on the scalp and thus push the hair into the 'dead' phase, making you shed that hair. Weak immunity as well as severe nutritional deficiencies are possible reasons to blame for excessive hair fall many are currently facing as a post-COVID-consequence. Most particularly, a depletion in Vitamin B12 and Vitamin D levels, which are crucial for good hair and skin health can also lead to excessive hair fall.
Post-COVID hair fall is categorized as 'telogen effluvium' and isn't exactly hair fall, but hair shedding. Fever or any illness (such as COVID itself) can actually force more hairs into the shedding phase.
Telogen effluvium which is primarily resultant of stress and related inflammation is termed as a sudden onset of hair loss- meaning that this can strike even those who are young and healthy, and not at a generalized risk for hair fall.
Telogen effluvium, in comparison to regular hair fall can be quite severe. So to speak, if a person tends to lose upto 100 hair strands a day, the condition fueled by COVID inflammation can make a person lose upto 300-400 hair strands a day.
The problem of excessive hair fall can be more common for those who had a moderate or severe case of COVID-19, since they can have a higher likelihood of battling complications, high inflammation, poor dietary problems during their illness or infectious phase. Again, as with the trajectory of COVID cases, people with milder forms of illness may not see the problem that worse, or recover quickly, while some may continue to encounter the problem months on after testing negative.
Any imbalance in your immune system can trigger or aggravate hair disorders. Thus, with a dip in immunity, and other causative factors, there can be some level of damage to your hair, or post-COVID, when the body's immunity is still recovering in a way, hair loss can be common.
For good hair health and preventing hair loss, one of the most commonly vouched for tips is to follow a good diet and lifestyle. While it may be true and work to an extent, with Telogen effluvium or sudden onset hair loss, diet alone may not cut it.
Following the below mentioned tips can help control hairfall to some extent:
-Use of mild, non-chemical (paraben, sulfate-free) shampoos and hair care products.
-Refraining from oiling or conditioning the scalp too much.
-Using a wide-toothed comb that doesn't irritate the hair follicles
-Nourishing the scalp with a quality diet and lifestyle habits.
Raisins. The black, seeded variety of raisins is the best. Soak a handful of raisins overnight. Eat in the morning hours. You can drink up the water too.
Amla. Have freshly squeezed juice, or consume amla in the form of pickle, chutney, or murabba.
Curry leaves. Boil 10 grams curry leaf powder in 100 ml water till its reduced to one-fourth. “Drink this tea first thing in the morning,” said Ganeriwal.
“Have these every day for three-four weeks and you will surely see your hair troubles fading away,” she added.
Homeopathic Medicine for Hair Fall
1. THUJA OCCIDENTALIS: For hair loss due to dry, white, scaly dandruff, then Thuja is the best remedy. This remedy is prescribed for dryness and thinning hair. This helps in hair growth and makes it lustress.
2. NATRUM MURIATICUM: Natrum mur acts well when the hair loss is experienced after childbirth. In such cases hair loss occurs from the frontal area (bregma) of your head. It can also be prescribed to women suffering from hair loss due to anemia (iron deficiency).
3. LYCOPODIUM: Lycopodium is effective for treating hair loss after delivery, after menopause, or hair loss due to ovarian dysfunction. It is also prescribed when hair loss is witnessed from vertex first, later on the temples including graying of hair.
4. FLOURIC ACID: Fluoric acid is one of the best homeopathic medicines for hair loss and highly recommended in treating patients who are having hair loss in spots (alopecia areata). Fluoric acid will help in regrowth of the hair. It is also very helpful in hair loss that occurs after a fever such as typhoid. It is prescribed in cases when hair is dry, tangles easily and breaks off.
5. PHOSPHORUS: This medicine is recommended when hair loss is seen in bunches. Hair turns dry and gray resulting in hair loss from vertex, crown area and forehead. It is also effective for the treatment for hair fall is due to change of water, change of climate, and even dandruff.
6. Thallium: Most important remedy for Post Covid hairfall. Falling of hair after an acute exhausting disease.
Why is your hair falling post COVID? We try to explain
Three foods to manage post-Covid hair fall https://indianexpress.com/article/lifestyle/life-style/post-covid-hair-fall-foods-diet-7453201/
Can COVID-19 cause hair loss? - American Academy of Dermatology
Hairfall after Covid recovery, new side effect by Sowmya Mani
Illustrated guide to the homoeopathic treatment by Khaneja